Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Maiden Voyage

Ok, so I am not referring to a ship or anything remotely nautical.......today I took my new Vibram Five Fingers running shoes out on their first run...........here is a look at them................

They don't have the cushioning and padding that regular runners have. They are about 1mm thick on the bottom and the top is made of wetsuit type material........the theory is that running barefoot strengthens feet and calves and allows you to run more freely and further with less injuries because land on your forefoot, directly below your centre of gravity, resulting in optimum balance, increased stability, less impact and greater propulsion........blah, blah, blah.............heavy on theory (for me) and I was keen to try them out.........this morning I had a 75 minute interval session and ran on soft surface track (compacted granite)...........surprisingly, it was a comfortable run! I really thought I would feel every stone or stick under my foot, but I didn't...........neither did I feel some of the usual twinges in my legs, which was great.........I caught myself having a giggle whenever I looked at my feet......keen to see if my technique changes by wearing them.........fun!

1 comment:

  1. how many people stopped to stare at your shoes? vj\h

    ReplyDelete