Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Thursday 14 July 2011

Sweating the details

Words, words, words................do they put you off? Make you question what you are doing? Rattle you? Or do they excite you?!
At any given moment, I would happily admit that I love words but when it comes to run training, the mere mention of the words 'tempo run' have me building a wall and questioning my capability as a runner............why is this so? (For those that aren't familiar with the term 'tempo run' it is the best way to get faster and stronger.)
As a runner (with the goal of beating my 2010 marathon time) of course I want to get faster before fatiguing. Give me run sessions made up of intervals or hills or even long runs (an hour or longer) and I am usually pretty happy to get in there and do it...................so I am really stumped as to why 'tempo runs' = guaranteed negative self talk. The negative self talk doesn't mean that I don't do the run session......I do it, although with not much heart and have trouble shutting down the ongoing banter with the cast of a thousand in my head.
An article in Runner's World explains how important mental strength is as part of the training program. One of the suggestions  is to tell the world your goal and by doing this, you have to do it. I am really familiar with goal setting, but I haven't put my marathon goal out there for all to know. Maybe by doing that, it will help me push through this mental challenge.....here goes............ my goal is to run the Melbourne Marathon sub 3.45.


(Runner's World article if you are interested... http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/default.aspx?s=motivation-display&id=2064 )

No comments:

Post a Comment