Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Saturday 19 May 2012

Awesome Presence

This morning's run was really grounded in being present............not sure that I made a conscious effort to be present but it just seemed to happen...............it started when I farewelled my favourite triathlete off on a 5 hr bike ride to Kinglake and I heard the rain falling on the roof..................normally hearing rain (knowing I am heading outdoors) turns me off..............however today I walked out the front door and turned my face skyward and felt the drizzle on my face. I was tempted to walk back inside and skip the run but I grabbed my keys and jumped in the car...................when I got to the Tan it was raining.....................I started my Garmin watch and off I went..........I was aware of the biting cold wind on my face, the crunch of autumn under my feet, the grit flicking up onto my legs, the sound of the seashore in my ears as I ran into a slight headwind, the greyof the skies, the roar of the passenger plane overhead bringing people to Melbourne, the yellow tinged glow of the lamplights along the streets, the metallic scraping of the trams moving, the magpies warbling in conversation, the chatter of friends out walking, the megaphone voice instructing the rowers, the pelaton whooshing by, the pooch whining to its owner to keep moving.....................it was a run that was alive.
My awareness continued beyond my run..................the creaminess of the soy milk in my coffee, the coolness of the house, the dryness of the newspaper..........................I headed over to South Melbourne for a dynamic yoga class.....................I was present to my Ujjayi breathing, to the spots in my body that I was holding tension, to the rivulets of sweat springing from my skin, the laughs in the room after the teacher cracked a joke and the tears that ran from my eyes when we were in Pigeon pose..............................the most important pieces of equipment you need for doing yoga are your body and your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment