Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Sunday 9 October 2011

Toenails are for sissies! (apparently)


Mid stride between the 30-35km mark
"Toenails are for sissies" was a sign being held up about 5kms from the finish line..............I thought about how wretchedly sore my toenails were feeling, looked down at my shoe and expected to see some blood seeping through...............thankfully no evidence of torture.........yet!
Melbourne Marathon 2011 is completed for me.....................I looked back at when I started this blog, my goal was to run this marathon injury free..............achieved! I also wanted to beat my time from last year................check (by about 15 minutes...................go me!).................I didn't do the time that I had in my head (between 3.30 and 3.45) but I still came in under 4 hours, so I am rapt. Things were SO on track until I hit around the 26km mark and turned into a mighty headwind and it slowed me down.............and everyone else around me. One of the drink stations was completely upended by the wind with cups of water and gatorade flying into the air and over runners. Melbourne put on wind, rain and sunshine for those of us running and the supporters along the route. A big thank you to my supporters (online and real time) and to my fabulous supporter on route........makes a massive difference seeing a familiar face smiling at you :)
At home now, fed and watered and wearing compression gear on my thighs and calves. My poor toenails have been beaten and some are lifting from the nail bed..............always a good look..................they have only just recovered from last year's marathon :( I am booked in for a deluxe pedi next Saturday and am excited in anticipation of some love and care being given to them.
I am going to enjoy the next week or so off from running and await the next run training program to get me ready for some shorter distances before the end of the year followed by a 28km trail run in January and another marathon in March 2012.
My final thing before I sign off and recline on the sofa is that I saw a sassy pair of patent wedges on a spectator..........I should have asked where I could get me some!
Love my work!

1 comment: