Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Sunday 4 September 2011

Yoyo Coco

Here it is, my first ever cracking of a young Thai coconut captured on my phone.............why am I posting this on Heels and Hills I hear you ask.................well, as much as this blog is about my heels and my run sessions, I would be neglectful if I did not make reference to the foods that fuel me. I am lactose intolerant and after a brief foray into eating meat (after being a vegan/vegetarian for over 20 years) to rectify a protein issue, I find that I am once more favouring a plant based diet...........but why show the coconut cracking I hear you ask again............I am having a go at making coconut milk yoghurt - lactose free, gluten free, dairy free but the flavour will make you pop your cherry!


Coconut water - one of the main ingredients in coconut milk yoghurt is nutrionally dense.....check out these facts.............
  • Coconut Water is more nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol!

  • Coconut Water has less calories than orange juice 

  • Coconut Water is better than processed baby milk- It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk

  • Coconut water is naturally sterile -- water permeates though the filtering husk!

  • Coconut water is a universal donor-- Its identical to human blood plasma

  • Coconut Water is a naturaliIsotonic beverage - the same level we have in our blood.

  • Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV

  • "Coconut water is the very stuff of nature, biologically pure, full of natural sugars, salts, and vitamins to ward off fatigue... and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural!", according to Mortin Satin, Chief of the United Nation's Food & Agriculture Organization.


  • Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks.

    Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200 mg!

    Coconut water has 5mg of natural sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of altered sugars.

    Coconut water is very high in chloride at 118mg, compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.

    But will it make a difference to me? Who knows - but I am loving having a play with foods.......watch this space for the verdict on my homemade coconut milk yoghurt......hands up if you want to have a taste!






    No comments:

    Post a Comment