Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Saturday 10 September 2011

Bangkok Babe

I have many readers of my blog and I was emailed from one such reader who lives and works in Bangkok. It was fanastic to hear about her running experience..thanks Steph......hope that you enjoy it too :)


Sharp putrid smells of the khlong (canals) pierce your nostrils right at the point in your run where you are gulping deeper for air. Just as that smell eases the tangy smell of the tobacco factory on the other side of the lakes’ fence hits your face and the back of your throat. .

You keep your eyes peeled to the footpath as it’s uneven, littered in dog poo and you often have to hurdle jump a rat or two as you go.

You have to be selective about the time of day that you run – before school would mean getting up at 4am. Evenings you need to leave it till after at least 5.30 for it to drop a degree or two.  In the rainy season this is exactly when the storms will hit – large electrical storms with large water droplets that pierces the skin.

As soon as the rain starts the streets flood, so you are running in ankle deep puddles of water that you daren’t think about their content.

At 6.00pm the all runners and walkers have to come to a complete halt to listen to the kings’ anthem – whilst trying to keep your muscles moving ever so discretely to stop them from cramping.

Finding the right running gear that doesn’t give you a runners’ rash in the humidity and heat is tough… finding running gear that FITS in Asia with women the size of 12 year old boys is tough!

On the short patch of road that I navigate to make my way to the lake I dodge tuk tuks, motorbikes, noodle carts and give street dogs a wide birth as you can never be sure whether they’ll take a nip at your ankles.  

Thais will also run/walk around the lake but generally at a pretty restricted pace as they don’t generally like to get to sweaty – so whilst it means weaving my way around them, it does give you an inflated sense of speed which is good for the runners ego.

If you’re looking for a little inspiration the next time you are struggling to get out of bed for an early training session – just be grateful that is not what you’ll face J

I love this country I really do – but some days it can be a little exhausting..

No comments:

Post a Comment