Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Saturday 3 September 2011

Self Diagnosis

Runner's World mag is a wonderful source of tips and info about running and provided me with my first point of self diagnosis............

Posted online Aug 23: RUNNY NOSE? You could be suffering from exercise-induced rhinitis. A condition caused by the increased air flow; as your breathing rate increases, your nose kicks into hyperactivity. The Fix: consider taking an antihistamine.
This happens to me...and I am always quick to blame pollen..........buckets of mucus every run..........this morning I took my antihistamine and voila, almost no runny nose! Self diagnosis success!

My second self diagnosis started when I saw the following word painted on the footpath.....
I truly wondered if this word was painted for me...........and me alone.......for this morning at least...........egotistical perhaps but this word spoke to me..............my 80 minute run was hard this morning...............beautiful vistas along the Capital City Trail/Yarra River didn't take away the fact that it felt hard................and then I saw the word SLOW painted in front of me. Slow summed up how I was feeling and how I perceived I was running. Pain and discomfort (in my calves and feet) that I had previously sought muscular therapies for, hounded me again today and I got to thinking that perhaps it was time once more to have me some more muscle maintenance. Today's niggles meant that I wasn't running at the pace prescribed for me in my program. I thought about the heels that I have been wearing this week, the angles that my feet have been subjected to and the stretches that I haven't been doing and I self diagnosed that I was heading into injury territory.

I am thankful that I had 80 minutes to think about me (because I don't do anywhere near enough thinking about myself!) and remind myself that my goal is to run the Melbourne Marathon injury free this year (PS it is 5 weeks away tomorrow).

And as it turns out my average pace for today's run was NOWHERE as slow as I thought it was!

The other thing I thought about during my run was that perhaps I need to hunt down some more stylish flats or mules to help take the pressure off my pins more often. Then I got to thinking about the phrase "high rise flats" and pondered considerably about how absurd that phrase is.........my thoughts trailed off into thinking how fantastic it would be if I had a pair of flats that I could make into heels on a whim (aka high rise flats!)..........

Enough already!

No comments:

Post a Comment