Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Sunday 25 September 2011

Light winds my arse!

Morning all. There is a little ritual that happens when I get up for a run in the morning...of course there is the obligatory visit to the loo but without a doubt the weather conditions are checked. Is there wind? If so in what direction? Outside temp? Apparent temp? Rain? This information assists in how I will dress for the run and it also helps me make a decisoin as to where I will run. This morning's checks were no different to any other morning and I distinctly recall the line on the weather app stating 'light SE winds'. I think to myself, "light winds should be ok for a run along the bay, southerly means there will be a nip in the air". Heading over the Westgate Bridge, the flags flapping about full mast and proud, should have been the first clue that we were about to deal with something a little more macho than light winds..........stepping out of the car (and off the heated front seats), I had to hold onto my visor to save it from being taken to the Land of Oz (2nd clue). My exposed arms became goose pimply like a pimply goose (3rd clue) as we ran into an almightly, apparently 'light' headwind! I have no doubt that we looked like we were running into an invisible wall. About 20 minutes into the run it was a case of turn around and have the wind pushing us or call it a day (clue #4). Given that I missed a couple of run sessions this week, I knew that I had to keep going, albeit with a tailwind. The 6 other legs running with me took a leave pass and I continued on through the back streets of Port Melbourne, trying to get out of the wind. The upside was I saw some gorgeous houses and treelined streets. Completing the session (over 2 hours long) in trying conditions also does a lot for my headspace.
Hope you have a salubrious Sunday
x

1 comment: