Heels and Hills........what's it all about?

Sandals, kitten heels, pumps, stilettos, wedges, platforms, mules, Mary-Janes, boots...........I am a lover and consumer of all things shoes. However I have had to make way in my collection for runners in my quest for endurance running......this is my story.

Sunday 18 December 2011

Little Red Caboose

Surely everyone knows the story of the Little Red Caboose with the line "I think I can, I think I can".......keep that in mind as I share my morning run.............when I got up this morning my legs were screaming at me - achy and tired -I thought I would just see how I went before making a decision about whether to stay home or go...........although I am exhausted, once I am awake there is pretty much no chance of me being able to fall back asleep and I wanted to get the run done before the predicted strong winds hit so I took myself to Port Melbourne and just got on with it..................I think I can, I think I can......................about 15 minutes into the 100 minute run I couldn't recall whether I had locked the car or not so I ran back to the car. Yep I had locked it! I started running again and this 'dressed in customary black' caboose stopped..............my legs ached and I stopped my watch (tracking pace/distacne etc) and said to myself...........'right that's it. This isn't happening today"......................but I was stopped in my tracks looking at the bay and those wretched good cop/bad cop voices started to talk to me..........'toughen up princess - tired legs never killed anyone. You've run a couple of marathons and you need to push through this" "You are exhausted you poor thing. Work has been super busy. You have a lot on your plate. You can try this tomorrow. Go easy on yourself"
I remember putting my hands on my head to listen to the debate raging in my head and then gave myself a virtual bitch slap across the face and told myself to get moving and to think of how I would feel after completing it. And off I went "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can"
Between you and me it was a mongrel of a run but it is done and yes I feel good that I kept on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment